Glen Nevis

Glen Nevis 30Oct - 1Nov

Great second trip of the year! Lots of new keen faces, plus a few old ones (yeah Paddy, that’s you now). Usual late arrival to the area, followed by a ‘short’ walk (it was only a mile I promise!) and crossing of the wire bridge to reach the stunningly located Steal Hut, not really fully appreciated at 5am, when all people wanted to do was crawl into their sleeping bags. Jokes about there being no point even going to bed, the sun was rising already, were not apprecitaed either.


Woke to a glorious day and went for a stroll up the valley, with a few interesting river crossings along the way, to reach the isolated summit of Binnean Beag. Quick descent down a steep scree slope, then the long walk back down the valley to the hut. We were greeted by a big pot of tea made by Matt and Libby, who’d turned back early after Matt took a dip in a river- wrong time of year for that. Evening entertainment courtesy of Sally, who made us think of things we’d never considered before eg favourite type of wood, favourite road, plus many more…


The weather deteriorated on the second day; however that didn’t stop everyone from making it to the summit of Ben Nevis! The original plan to do the ‘ring of Steal’ was brought to an abrupt halt less than 100m from the hut, where we couldn’t cross the river below the Steal falls! Quick discussion and Plan B was made- five of us went up the Ben via the CMD arete (interesting in strong winds, low visibilty and a bit of a drizzle), the rest drove down the valley to do the ‘normal’ path. A bit of luck and err perfect planning of course, meant we met on the summit for a misty group photo. We all descended the same way down to the minibus, with the wishful idea of a pub and catching the rugby world cup final at the bottom, but time was against us and we ended up making the walk back to the hut under headtorch. Veggie curry was on the menu for dinner, followed by some pumpkin carving, see photo below for the results!


Day three started early, watching the stars dissapear and sun rise in the valley. We were limited for options because of the river situation, but Ed had a great idea- pack and clean up early to drive over to Glen Coe, also conveniently on our route home, for a day in the mountains there. We split into two groups; half of us went up Stob Coire Raineach and then along to Stob Dubh, where we met the others on their way up. Another beautiful sunny day, with plenty of opportunity for lying around soaking it in, er I mean catching our breath. Windy lunch break on the summit, waiting for the swirling mist to lift so we could catch a glimpse of the ‘amazing view of the sea’ promised by Ed. It remains a mystery; he may have lured us up there by lies. The early start and relatively short walk meant we were back down at the minibus by half 2, and on the road back to Notts not long after.


It was a trip of many firsts:

•First time I’ve seen a penguin onesie on a


•A squeezy tube of condensed milk as a snack..

•First time I’ve had to think about what my

favourtie road is

•Chili was made which didn’t set everyones

mouths on fire

•SUN in soctland in November!

•Back in Nottingham from Scotland before midnight


Copyright © All Rights Reserved